"Do you not know that your bodies are temples of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own." 1 Cor. 6:19
How We Transformed Our Kitchen...
- First we purchased practical tools like a grain-miller, juicer and power blender. I would say hands down our Vitamix is the most used appliance. We use it 2-3 times a day for making smoothies and milling organic grains for baking.
- Next we switched out all our plastic containers for glass food storage containers and our Teflon pots and pans for stainless steel cookware or cast iron cookware.
- We learned about the art of soaking, fermenting and sprouting and the incredible health benefits these both provide.
- We replaced *all* processed foods with healthier wholefood alternatives and learned how to can and store all our fruits, vegetables, nuts, seeds, and grains.
- We learned the art of juicing and how to use other plant-based alternatives to support our overall health goals.
- We replaced many of our dried spices with healthier, less processed and denatured alternatives.
- We learned how to make healthier green smoothies by using more greens and less fruits and juices. Currently we are enjoying the art of foraging by using wild plants from our own backyard to enhance our daily green smoothies.
- In addition to these changes we also worked diligently to replace all of our toxic household cleaners (and personal care products) with healthier, environmentally safer products.
How We Adapted Our Green Smoothie Habit Outside the Home...
After seeing such amazing results with our Vitamix we decided to purchase a NutriBullet for my husband, to take to work. Every day he makes a smoothie for breakfast and many times again at lunch. Within two months after beginning this habit he noticed more energy, improved digestion, fewer cravings for sweets, a more positive mood, improvements in skin tone and best of all he lost over 25lbs.
Six months after starting this daily habit my husband went in for an annual physical and his blood work came out perfect. The nurse that called to give him the results said, "Whatever you are doing, keep on doing it!" This was the first time in three years that all his bloodwork and test results came back perfect.
How We Came To Join the GSGLife Community...
These amazing changes in my husband's overall health inspired me to buy and read the book The Green Smoothies Diet by Robyn Openshaw. What Robyn says in her book and her overall approach on going from a SAD (standard American diet) to a healthy wholefoods diet really resonated with what our family had been gradually accomplishing. Robyn has done a tremendous amount of research on the subject of nutrition and bases a lot of her approach to eating healthier on the largest nutritional study done to date by Dr. T. Campbell from Cornell University.
In the Green Smoothie Diet book, Robyn writes...
"Everywhere I travel, I meet people who have been brainwashed by food cults. Low fat! Low carb! Dieting, food combining, blood type, Atkins, Zone, Paleo! Nobody knows how to eat anymore. We are more confused about food than any other subject........As my work has grown in a quantum way, with almost 100,000 new visitors a month to my website, and speaking in 50 cities a year, I have learned two interesting facts about people:
You want to eat right.
You do not know how."
We have since purchased all of the books and programs written by Robyn and have thoroughly enjoyed all the new recipes and great tips for saving money while continually converting our home and bodies to a healthier wholefoods!
We also completed the 12 Steps to Wholefoods program. The premise of this course is to take and do one healthy step over an entire month until each step becomes a habit. So if you are looking for a way to gradually transition yourself or your family into better, healthier eating habits we HIGHLY HIGHLY recommend this program and community!
I can confidently say everyone's taste buds are satisfied, the kids are growing like weeds, both my husband and I have noticed less illnesses, less seasonal allergies, less aches and pains, more energy, perfect blood results, weight loss without dieting, counting calories, depriving ourselves or popping pills!
As health instructors, we are now privileged to share our story with others and show other people how we went from being overweight, miserable, fatigued and depressed to living healthy, happy vibrant lives!
If you have any questions regarding the resources mentioned on this website please don't hesitate to email us.
Therefore, since we have these promises, dear friends, let us purify ourselves from everything that contaminates body and spirit, perfecting holiness out of reverence for God. 2 Cor. 7:1